Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Post Secret


The Post Secret I have chosen shows a picture of a young girl, probably around 3 or 4 year old, wearing pink pajamas. She has curly blonde hair and is closing her hand and is looking just past the camera with a terrified look on her face. The secret written on the picture reads, “I am 58 years old with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I just remembered that my dad beat me when I was 5 years old and the next day I got diarrhea.” This card is effective in using its pathos appeal to connect with the audiences emotions. Every person that reads this explicit verbal claim would immediately feel bad for the author because child abuse is terrible and is an awful sight to picture. Also, the effects of the abuse by her father has haunted her for her entire life and left her with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The card is very effective on the audience because of the empathy felt for the author goes further because of the visual component. After reading the text and feeling extremely sorry for the author, no matter if it was a man or woman, you see a picture of a cute little girl who looks so sad she is about to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment