The article, “If You Run a Red Light, Will Everyone Know?” Brad Stone discusses a new website that enables its viewers to search for criminal and traffic records of any person free of charge. When I viewed the website, CriminalSearches.com, a large banner caught my eye at the top of the screen. In bold letters it says, “Do you really know who people are? Start a FREE Criminal Search on anyone today!” I stared at the screen for a moment and then immediately typed in my parents’ names to see if there was anything they were hiding. My mom had no record on the sight but when I searched my Dad’s name I found out that he has gotten a couple speeding tickets in the past few years, nothing serious. As I thought about all the private information that this website offers it made me mad. Why it is anyone else’s business to know what your criminal or traffic record is? The website breaks down its information into categories such as behavioral, drugs & alcohol, sex related, theft & robbery, violent, and traffic/other, and the information is not always completely accurate. Criminal records are supposed to be kept by the government or local legislature not on the internet where the entire world can see. When applying for most jobs they require a background check that must be done by a private agency, which costs the company money (usually around $200). This website enables employers to check the potential employee’s status before the interview is conducted, for free. This is wrong and in my opinion should be illegal because someone who has a few minor speeding tickets could potentially not be hired because of this and someone less qualified could get the job because they don’t have any tickets on their record. If the company had done a proper background check and they both came up clear, the more qualified applicant would be more likely to get the job. Criminal records are personal business and should not be available of the internet for millions of people to see.
I also chose this short essay for my RA#1. From reading yours I think that the idea of this website made both of us very mad. I decided however not to check the website for my parents or anyone else because I just don't want to know. I feel that that is their personal business, and if I actually checked them out, I feel like I would be adhering to the website.
ReplyDelete