In my essay, I will use a local approach to discuss the new DUI laws in South Carolina that went into effect in February 2009, in the form of a proposal argument.
In the past, the South Carolina DUI laws have been lenient compared to those of many other states. The new law that is now in effect is much stricter and a first time offender can possibly be sentenced to jail time. The law is meant to protect people in South Carolina but some citizens feel that they have become too strict. State legislatures feel that making the law stricter will have a positive effect and reduce the number of people who drink and drive.
In my opinion, I feel that the new DUI laws should remain in place. Drinking and driving puts not only the driver and passenger’s lives at risk, but everyone else on the road also. In order to deter people away from drinking and driving, the law must be strict and well enforced. People will see that the new law is good for South Carolina because its purpose is to save lives of everyone on the road.
I believe that the new law should open people’s eyes and make them think twice before they get behind the wheel after drinking. Everyone knows the dangers of drinking and driving, yet many people still do it everyday. Making the punishment for DUI much harsher hopefully will reduce the number of people who drink and drive, and save many lives at the same time. I believe that the new law makes South Carolina’s roads a much safer place.
In my proposal I am supporting the new DUI laws. In high school a classmate of mine was killed by one of his friends who was driving drunk. The driver left the accident with nothing more than a scratch on his body. Less than two months later the same driver killed another boy while driving drunk again. I hope that these new laws will scare people away from driving drunk and rightfully punish those who do.
There are many articles that deal with the new DUI laws in South Carolina that I will be able to use in my essay. I do not have any questions at this time.
Monday, April 20th, 2009
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment